Zephyr Kernel 1.5.0¶
The Zephyr Engineering team is glad to announce the release of Zephyr Kernel 1.5.0. This is the first release to follow the 3-month release cadence. This release includes numerous fixes and support for major features. Additional changes include support for new drivers, sensors, and boards.
Major enhancements included with the release:
- TCP Support
- Integration of the Paho MQTT Library support with QoS
- Flash Filesystem Support
- Integration of the mbedTLS library for encryption
- Improved BR/EDR support (for L2CAP, in particular).
- Support for the Altera Nios II/f soft CPU architecture
A detailed list of changes since v1.4.0 by component follows:
- Added nano_fifo_put_list() APIs, which allows queuing a list of elements on a nanokernel FIFO.
- Removed unused memory pool structure field.
- Enhanced memory pool code.
- ARM: Updated to include floating point registers.
- Altera Nios II/f soft CPU architecture support
- Internal Interrupt Controller
- Avalon Timer
- Avalon JTAG UART (polling mode) as default for qemu-system-nios2, and 16550 UART as default for Altera MAX10.
- Added Nios II QEMU board.
- Added configuration for Altera MAX10 FPGA.
Drivers and Sensors¶
- Sensors: Added driver for I2C HMC5883L magnetometer.
- Sensors: Added driver for I2C TMP112 temperature sensor.
- Sensors: Added driver for MAX44009 light sensor.
- Sensors: Added driver for LPS25HB.
- HAL: Updated QMSI drivers to 1.1
- Added DMA QMSI shim driver.
- Added Quark SE USB device controller driver.
- Added suspend/resume to QMSI drivers.
- Added Guard for critical sections of the QMSI drivers.
- Added Zephyr File System API.
- Added driver for ENC28J60 Ethernet SPI module.
- TCP Support
- Connection handling fixes in IP stack.
- Allow sending zero length user data IP packet.
- New net_buf_simple API for light-weight on-stack (or static) buffers where a net_buf (and its associated pool) is overkill. The net_buf API now uses as an internal implementation detail net_buf_simple.
- Add support for network buffer fragmentation.
- Add more net_buf big endian helpers.
- Multiple fixes & improvements to the nble driver.
- New API for dealing with Out of Band data (like the local address).
- Various smaller fixes & improvements in many places.
Build and Infrastructure¶
- Added “qemugdb” target to start a local GDB on port 1234.
- Added script to filter known issues in the build output.
- Sanity: Added “-R” option to build all test with assertions.
- File system: Imported Open Source FAT FS 0.12a code.
- Encryption: Imported mbedTLS library.
- Encryption: Updated TinyCrypt library to 2.0.
- Fixed all the documentations warnings during build.
- Fixed several typos, trademarks and grammar.
- Moved all the boards documentation to the wiki.
- Moved Code Contribution documentation to the wiki.
- Added package “ncurses” to the list of requirements.
- Updated macOS instructions.
Test and Samples¶
- Samples: Replaced old debug macro to use new SYS_LOG macro.
- Added TMP112 sensor application.
- Added Quark SE power management sample application.
- Added DMA memory to memory transfer sample.
- Added sample for MAX44009 light sensor.
- Added MQTT publisher and subscriber samples.
- Added mbedTLS sample client.